Friday, August 08, 2008

Jesus was pretty clear about the topic of forgiveness and judgement. I cannot help but link those two topics together, because that's what Jesus did!

Matthew 6:14/15 - "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

Matthew 7:1/2 - "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Now, that's pretty clear, right? Forgive others if you want to be forgiven and do not judge others or the very yardstick you use to judge will be used to measure you and your deeds! Wow!

Sadly, like most of Jesus' teachings, this one goes so far against our nature that it's very hard to accomplish! When we watch a Charles Bronson film, we get up and cheer as the vigilante exacts his revenge! It's our gut instinct; "instant justice" prosecuted with lightning speed! It makes us feel good when we believe things are being made right. However, God says that it's not our place to "make it right," but His! God sees all time at once. He knows the decisions that person will make and He knows whether that person will come to believe and seek forgiveness or if he will not; WE can never know that!

Such being the case, we should spend less time (MUCH less!) worrying about what others are doing or saying and spend a lot more of it trying to "be perfect" (Matthew 5:48).

Lord, I'm a flawed human being and I make more mistakes than I can count. Father, I thank You for forgiving me of my shortcomings. Lord, "be perfect" is impossible in and of myself, but I know I can attain it in Your eyes through the forgiveness you gave me in Jesus. Help me to be more like Jesus this day and help me to forgive others as You forgive me. Father, thank You for watching over us and guiding us! Protect us and make us whole, I pray! Lord Jesus, we love You and we praise You! In Your holy, precious name we pray, amen!

No comments: